Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Follow Up to Last Post..FOLLOWED BY SOMETHING REALLY EXCITING!

Maddie had her appt with Dr. Gregory on Friday. I was all nerves walking in there. As Usual, George was calm. They were running behind and it was going to be a 45 minute wait. This was nothing new. In my vast experience with appointments (I've become somewhat of an expert and could write a book on how to stay entertained while keeping your kid happy in a waiting room), I should've known better and should've called ahead of time to see if the Dr was on schedule. We sat there gathering our thoughts on the dreaded feeding tube. There was just nothing I could think of that the Dr could say to change my mind... I'm against it; George is against it. Maddie has taken steps forward with her feeding. She no longer gags on puffs and will eat a few bites of rice, beans, shredded chicken... things that a month ago she'd gag and puke at merely the sight of. She eats 4-5 meals a day of purees and yogurt, and is at least consuming enough liquids to stay hydrated. So what could the Dr of possibly 'found' in this research?... NOTHING! The tube was mentioned  as a plan B in his notes. The Dr. agreed wholeheartedly that the nurse should've gathered more info about our situation. He's going to talk to her about it. He said she's a 'passionate' person, but has good intentions. I have a few other words I'd like to call her. Dr. Gregory was impressed with Maddie's weight gain... she's back on the charts. She's worked her way up to the 10th percentile and is in the 50th percentile for the length to weight measurement. These are good signs! (sigh of relief.. followed by a big WOOHOO!) He also noted how much better Maddie's trunk control has gotten and he saw improvement in the fine motor area as well. Anyways, Maddie was sitting on the exam table and was tired of being poked and prodded, so what does my beautiful little baby do? She reaches her arms out to me and says "mom...mom...MOM" It was clear as day! The Dr. looked at me with a dumbfounded amazement. I grabbed my little one so fast and hugged on her! I didn't realize just how sweet a simple three letter word could sound. Of course, the whole way home George was in the drivers seat saying "Dada Dad Dada" OVER AND OVER AND OVER again Haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment