Thursday, November 12, 2009

LISTEN TO THE MUSTN'TS

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me --
Anything can happen, child
ANYTHING can be.

by: Shel Silverstein

I can’t wait to share this with Maddie… She’s going to hear this one over and over and over again. ;0)

I so badly want her to just get up and crawl. She’s been up on all fours rocking for over a month, but she just doesn’t quite have the coordination to put it all together. She did ‘army crawl’ a few days ago. It took a big motivator like giving her a sip of apple juice, then setting the cup halfway across the room to get her going. I LOVED watching her go. She beamed with pride when she reached her destination (the cup). I happily gave her a few sips then moved back to other end of the room and set the cup down… she was determined. It was Bliss! And she did it again! She did it 3 times. I wish I would’ve had the camcorder out. George was watching too…rootin’ her on. I haven’t had any success since then. She decided apple juice is overrated and too much work. We’ll keep at it though.

I’ve been replaying the comments the Neuro made about Maddie’s development and Rett syndrome. It’s like I’m lost in this indeterminate state. One day I’m extremely positive and hopeful thinking that guy was out of his mind. Then without so much as a trigger, my patience runs thin and I feel this impeding doom about the whole situation. I so badly want her to prove them all wrong. It’s tough not having a diagnosis. We’re in limbo. The fear of the unknown and how it’s affecting my child leaves me with a lump in my throat. That’s just it though, it’s ‘unknown’, which leads me back to the hopes that whatever it is, Maddie will ‘outgrow it’ and ‘catch up’. Are you still following me? If not, it’s okay, it’s not you, it’s me…. I’m up then I’m down, the important thing is that everytime I’m down I get back up. Maddie has made tons of progress, and she CAN and WILL continue to do so, regardless of whatever expectations a neurologist who spent 15 minutes with her might have. I love Shel Silverstein… I really needed to read this poem today, and like I said above… I can’t wait to read it to Maddie.

2 comments:

  1. oh, and I stole your shel silverstein poem!! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Shel Silverstein. We have several of his books. Do you know which one this is from? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete